Paid Search: Drive The Right Kind of Traffic

It appears that there is something of a “traffic frenzy” going around. Many PPC management company and marketing departments are convinced that traffic is the answer to all of their marketing problems – simply drive more traffic, and money will begin arriving on the doorstep.

PPC management company



As you might gather, I don’t view this as a safe assumption whatsoever. Really, what’s the point of simply having traffic?

What you really need is the right kind of traffic.

If a smaller amount of good traffic will yield better results than an enormous amount of unqualified traffic – that’s where I’d want to put my money.

Quite literally, in fact.

For business owners, CEOs, and marketing managers who are searching for ways to solve the issue of having to get traffic to your website – paid search is an excellent solution.


Because paid search (or Pay-per-click, or PPC, or SEM) targets the searchers that are already looking for your product or service – and therefore, when done right, will yield a positive return on investment.

Common Misconceptions about Paid Search / Pay-Per-Click

As we’ve communicated with numerous companies regarding marketing strategy decisions that they should make for their company, we’ve consistently run into several popular misconceptions about paid search.

It’s important that we address these myths before we dive into the benefits that PPC can offer your business.

Misconception 1. Paid search is a gamble

It would be an easy assumption to think that paid search is a gamble, especially when your PPC expert begins using words like, “keyword bid” and “total spend.” However, paid search isn’t a gamble at all. Actually, it’s almost as far away from gambling as you can get in the marketing environment.

Business owners and marketing managers are aware that marketing is based on a calculated risk. You put out content, place ads, run campaigns, and then you wait to see what your results are at the end of the day. You’re used to taking a calculated gamble and seeing how your viewers respond.

However, paid search only costs you money when a person actually clicks on your ad after entering in a specific keyword into the search box.

This guarantees that you find the exact type of traffic that you’re looking for – ensuring that the right people actually find your website. That’s not a gamble – that’s a fact.

Because the entirety of PPC marketing is results driven, you can be sure that any money you spend is going to give you the results that you want.

That’s what is uniquely effective about PPC compared to other marketing components and strategies.


Misconception 2: The man with the most money wins

This misconception is an interesting one.

Basically, the theory goes, if you outbid everyone, you can’t not win. Being in #1 position means you’ll get the majority of the clicks and sales. Right?

This is actually wrong.

Even if you are spending significantly more money than your competitors, you will only get a fraction of the total clicks on the page. The best non-branded quality keyword I’ve ever had the pleasure of running into had a click through rate of about 15%. The other 85% of clicks went either to organic listings or to other ads.

Even the biggest spenders are only getting a small part of the pie.

If the guy next door spends $3,000 on paid search and you spend $300, all other things being equal, it’s true that he will see ten times the results that you do.

But, your ROI is just as good as his is, so you can scale your spend accordingly.

Misconception 3: Not based on exposure

This is a big one. Back in the days of yore, your advertising success was dependent on how familiar your market was with you. It had nothing to do with promising to fulfill prospective customers’ needs at the moment they feel the need.

A billboard at the side of the road is an example of this. You hope that, when the time comes, people will remember your product or service.

This type of marketing is called interruptive or exposure based marketing. It’s primarily brand related, with an expectation that investments in intangible assets like brand recognition will return… eventually.

Paid search, on the other hand, is not exposure-based. You’re not hoping that people will remember you- you’re expecting that people will buy from you.

Instead, you’re meeting people’s needs right when they’re experiencing those needs and looking for your particular solution.


Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Paid Search: Drive The Right Kind of Traffic